Sunday, November 14, 2010

Steamed Chicken stuffed with Coriander - Chili - Butter


This was my first steaming experiment and also a poor attempt to start a diet. I got this nice 2-layered bamboo steamer from the Asian store the other day. And it is indeed an easy, efficient and healthy way to cook. I had some small incidents but I won't let it happen again. Let's steam!

They say these ingredients are enough for four people, but I say it's for two only, and in this particular case those two persons are the 'today-me' and the 'tomorrow-me' (being selfish, or are these the first signs of a multiple personality?)

  • 4 nice full chicken breast fillets
  • 50g soft butter
  • 4 tbsp fresh hacked coriander - (or any herb of your choice)
  • 1 chili chopped in tiny pieces
  • a regular can of coconut milk
  • 200g basmati rice
  • 350 ml chicken stock or water
  • 1 carrot
  • 1/2 cucumber
  • 3 spring onions (as you see, I used 2 and 1 small leech, cause I ran out of onions)
  • 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- Step 6 -

How to do it in 8 fun, simple steps:

1) mix the butter, chili and coriander

2) fill the pockets with the herb-butter stuffing

3) salt & pepper and wrap the stuffed fillet in backing paper, like a Christmas candy

4) put the coconut milk and chicken stock in a pot and as it starts boiling add the rice

5) lay the wrapped chicken in the steamer, the steamer on the pot, at (!) low heat. Here I had my first incident, the heat was too high and the milk burst out

6) let it there for 15-20 minutes, and stir the rice once or twice in the meanwhile. At this point I had my second incident. Never underestimate the heat of the steam!

7) while the chicken and rice are being cooked, you slice the cucumber, onions and carrot. For good aesthetics, you can challenge your patience by cutting them in julienne strips. Huh, now you probably wonder if I used my samurai skills to do that. No, I cheated to be honest, I used a special julienne cutter ;) Pour the vinegar over the strips.

8) when the chicken is tender and the rice has been boiled, take it away from the fire, unwrap the chicken and serve it on the coconut milk-rice and decorate with the salad strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment