Thursday, June 2, 2011

Asparagus but different!

What do you do when you find the taste of a vegetable great but don't succeed to properly cook it?
a) give up and pretend you didn't know about it's existence
{ booo! quitter }
b) only eat it at the restaurant
{ booo! snob }
c) ask your dear (experienced cooks) ones to prepare it for you once in a while
{ booo! leech}
d) keep on trying even if you failed several times in your 'chef wannabe' career
{way to go! you just won a free, possibly tasty, selfmade meal}


You only have the priviledge to enjoy asparagus two months a year so you'd better show it some respect. But what can one do when they come from a country where people didn't even know what asparagus is or how it looks like. Nowadays they do know what it looks like, throw intrigued glances at it in the supermarket and pass on by to the more trusted potatoes.
And what can the same above mentioned person do when she lands in what seems to be "the Kingdom of Aspargus". A country where people worship this vegetable, call it Royal and even hold annual festivals in His majestic honor.

I was about to take the road of a a+b+c, when I saw this beautiful (adoptive-land harvest) bundle of white Spargel and decided to give it one last shot.
First I mentally prepared myself for the bitter taste of failure and the very annoying ropy, firbous overcooked vegetable inbetween my teeth. Anything but royal in wood-food, I tell you.
Peeled them ( it went smoother than ever..already a good sign). Washed them well. Put them in the pan covered with about 3 big cups of water and the never missing pinch of salt. Till here I had a plan but what happened after was nothing but spontanous moves. While the water started to boil I realized I have some perfect green onions and green garlics in the fridge (home land, home garden's harvest). So I thought they cannot do any harm. Wikipedia says they are the older cousins of asparagus, so it was time for a little family reunion. Plus I didn't want them to end in the garbage one week later. This hand full of green cousins, again well peeled and washed but not cut, landed too in the pan.

After they boiled for some minutes I added some leftover cream (not more than half a glass). Poured some hot water from the pot into a cup and anded one table spoon of flour and a small cube of herb butter and stirred strongly till I got a homogenous mix, then added the composition to the asparagus and let it boil further while stirring till it got the right density. At last I added some cayenne pepper and used the blender ( the one I use for milkshakes) to get a nice dense 'Spargelcremesuppe' à la Moi. I enjoyed this great spicy soup with some smoked bacon and a lot of sunshine on my terrace.

Who followed my blog might notice a *cough* tiny resemblance with my "My Smooth Pea Soup..." last winter. In my defence I can only say : it tastes different. And I love soup no matter what time it is. There is no better proof of that than this blog being launched with a soup.

Bon Appetit! and God bless mid-week religious holidays :-) and sunny days!

No comments:

Post a Comment